Netgear Firmware Update
Netgear router firmware is an easy process as it can be easily done with the default web address routerlogin.net. You just need to get into Netgear router login page. Netgear router firmware controls almost all the functions of the router. If you are wondering what is firmware then let us tell you a Firmware is an operating system that is embedded into a hardware device like a router. You will get to know the steps to update your Netgear router firmware with the help of this website. You will get to know details on Netgear router firmware update, Netgear software via routerlogin.net through this website.
What is a Netgear Firmware Update ?
As we all know, Netgear provides the best-in-class products such as routers, extenders, modem and other networking products. Netgear router is known to be the best router available in the market today.
To keep their routers up and running, Netgear router regularly releases a new version of firmware every now and then. Netgear router firmware update enhances the security of your router and also improves its performance so that you face no issue.
Why should I update my Netgear firmware update ?
Most of the users often ignore updating the firmware of their router. Updating the router is extremely important for the performance of the router. A Netgear firmware protects your device from unauthorized connection and security threats. The latest firmware version fixes the previous bugs and errors in the hardware of your device. From time to time, you should keep checking for available firmware updates. You should download Netgear firmware update to improve your home network and get a better Wi-Fi range and speed.
Most of the Netgear users don’t know how to update the Netgear router firmware and this is the reason they often face malware and network-related issues. Read the next section to know how to upgrade the firmware on the Netgear router. All important steps are shared in the following paragraphs. Please read carefully, If you still face any issues while updating the firmware of your router, then contact the support team. Download the firmware that comes from your router’s manufacturer and not from any third party.
How to Update the Netgear Router Firmware ?
If you want to update the Netgear firmware then you can choose from two methods. The first method is through the Netgear Genie software and another method is the manual process. In the automatic update (Netgear Genie), you would be able to find the most suitable update for your router. In the manual update, you can download or install a specific router firmware using www.routerlogin.net. Choose any of the following methods as per your requirement:
Update the Netgear Firmware using the Netgear Genie software
Following are the steps to perform the Netgear firmware update through the Netgear Genie software:
- First of all, download the Netgear Genie from http://www.netgear.com/landing/genie/.
- Launch the Netgear Genie software and click on the router’s settings.
- When the settings page appears, enter the username and password of the Netgear router in the required fields.
- Use ‘admin’ as username and ‘password’ as a password.
- It will take you to the wireless settings page. In the right corner of the dashboard, you will see the ‘Router Update’ option.
- Click on the ‘Router Update’ tab.
- Click ‘Next’ to see if your router has any pending update available. If there is no update pending, a message will appear on your screen.
- That is ‘your router has already latest firmware’.
- If there is an update available, it will provide you a list of pending updates.
- Next, the Netgear Genie will automatically download Netgear firmware.
- Now, Genie software will open the Netgear router login page using www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the username and password of your router and click ‘Login’.
- After you log into the Netgear router setup page, a message will pop up on the top of the page ‘A firmware is available’.
- Click on this message, and the router will update the latest firmware for your device.
- Once updated, click ‘Finish’ to complete the Netgear firmware update.
If you face any issue during the Netgear software update process, dial our toll-free no. Our team of experts will provide you with an instant solution.
Update the Netgear Firmware manually
If you want to install a specific firmware version, the following are the steps to upgrade the firmware on the Netgear router manually. You need to use the manual method if your router fails to notify you about an update. Here are the steps to complete the Netgear firmware update process:
- First of all, use your PC to visit Netgear’s official website.
- Now, enter the model number of your Netgear router in the search field.
- Next, select your router’s model and click on it.
- Now, choose the firmware that you want to download and click the ‘Download Now’ button to download it.
- Next, open a web browser on your PC and browse to the Netgear router login page using www.routerlogin.net.
- When a login screen appears, type in the username and password of your router.
- Now, open the Netgear smart wizards interface. Select the ‘Maintenance’ option.
- Click the ‘Router Upgrade’ tab.
- Now, click the ‘Choose file’ tab and double click the firmware file you have downloaded on your PC.
- After that, click the ‘Upload’ button to start the Netgear firmware update process. Once done, your router will reboot automatically.
Update the Netgear Firmware Using the Check Button
As mentioned above, Netgear regularly releases firmware updates in order to enhance the security and performance of the router. The latest firmware contains the latest features and fixes bugs. When you visit http://routerlogin.net website, you will see a message at the top of the page stating ‘new firmware is available’. You can use the check button in the router’s interface to check if the firmware is available.
Have a look at the below steps to complete the Netgear driver update using the Check button:
- On your PC, launch a web browser and browse to the www.routerlogin.net.
- A Netgear router login window appears, enter the login credentials and click Enter.
- On the router’s interface, click on the ‘Advanced Settings’.
- After that, click n the ‘Administration’ tab.
- Now, click the ‘Firmware Update’ option.
- Next, click the ‘Check’ tab. Your router will start to search for new updates.
- If you find a new firmware, click ‘Yes’ to update the firmware.
Query: Why do I need to always update my Netgear router to its latest version?
Answer: Updating the router to the latest firmware will improve the functionality and performance of your Netgear router. The most up-to-date firmware will fix previous bugs and add the latest features to the router.
Query: Can I change the default username of my Netgear router?
Answer: No, you can’t change the default username of the Netgear router. You can only change the default password.
Query: Is my Netgear router capable of setting the port forwarding by schedule?
Query: How do I secure my Netgear router’s network?
Answer: You can secure your home network by changing the wireless password. Set a complex password for your Wi-Fi network.
Query: How do I reset my Netgear router?
Answer: Look for the Reset button on the router’s back. Press and hold the button for about 30 seconds with a paper clip. Release the button when the power LED becomes steady.
Query: How do I know if my Netgear firmware update is outdated?
Answer: The Netgear Genie software or Netgear Smart Wizards notify you.
Query: Can I update the Netgear firmware manually?
Answer: Yes, you can perform the Netgear router firmware update manually through www.routerlogin.net.
Query: What is the Netgear Genie software?
Answer: You can use this application to configure the Netgear router and monitor its performance.
Query: Is it safe to download the Netgear software update from any third party websites?
Answer: No, you should always download Netgear firmware from the Netgear download center.